IT'S IN OUR HANDS!
This is a year that ends in a zero. Yes, it’s time to start checking the mail for your Census form.
Held every ten years, the census is a nationwide head count of every person residing in the United States. The “count” determines the number of seats each state will have in the US House of Representatives.
This year they have shortened the Census form down to 10 easy questions. By law, your information is confidential. The Census Bureau is expressly forbidden from sharing your information with any other government agency at any level.
The Census forms that we mail in help to determine how much of the $500 billion of federal funding will be available each year for infrastructure, hospitals, schools, job training centers, senior centers, emergency services, road construction, and other public works projects.
Ten years ago only 71% of Little Rock residents submitted their Census forms. That means the other 29% of federal funds, which had been available to Little Rock, were shifted to other cities instead. The participation percentage for Jacksonville, Sherwood, and Maumelle all exceeded that of Little Rock: Jacksonville 73%; Sherwood 79%; Maumelle 81%.
If we don’t get everyone counted, we won’t get our fair share of the funds. The better the “count”, the more dollars Little Rock will have to provide essential services.
Filling out your 2010 Census form is what makes “CENTS”. We are counting on you. Take a couple of minutes to make a big difference for Little Rock - It’s in OUR HANDS.
For more information about the 2010 Census, please go to www.littlerock.org/lrcensus